Publisher of Akashic Books Guest on KAZI Book Review
Johnny Temple, publisher and co-founder of Akashic Books, is the September 25 guest on KAZI Book Review on KAZI 88.7 FM, 12:30 p.m. – 1 p.m. Listen live online at kazifm.org.
Akashic Books is a Brooklyn-based independent company dedicated to publishing urban literary fiction and political nonfiction by authors who are either ignored by the mainstream, or who have no interest in working within the ever-consolidating ranks of the major corporate publishers. Some of the books we’ll discuss include:
- Boundaries by Elizabeth Nunez, coming in October 2011
- Gathering of Waters by Bernice McFadden, coming in February 2012
- Makeda by Randall Robinson, coming in September 2011
- The Mercury Fountain by Eliza Factor, coming in March 2012
- A Plot Against Hip Hop by Nelson George, coming in November 2011
- New Orleans Noir edited by Julie Smith
- Wall Street Noir edited by Peter Spiegelman
Temple, who co-founded Akasic in 1997, is a member of the punk rock band Girls Against Boys. He used part of the money he made from his rock band to fund the start-up of Akashic Books. Temple has a bachelor’s degree in African American Studies and a master’s degree in Social Work.